There are number of Ziyarats in Palestine, following is the list of those:
The Hanbali Mosque is also known as Hanabila Mosque. It is amongst the major mosques in central Nablus and is located on Jama’a Kabir Street in the south of Martyr’s Square and in the west of the Great Mosque of Nablus.
The Hanbali Mosque was constructed by the Al Hanbali family of Nablus in the early sixteenth century during 1526-27 and was named after them. In the construction, ancient stone pillars with carved capitals were used. As per the tradition of local Muslim, the wooden box there in the mosque preserves 03 hairs of Hazrat Muhammad (S.A), the prophet of Allah. This box has been taken out on 27th day of Ramadan annually for visitors and worshipers to view and obtain blessings from it.
The minaret of the mosque was reconstructed in 1913. During 1930s, the imam of the Hanbali mosque, Sheikh Muhammad Radi al-Hanbali used to maintain relations with the rebel leader Izz al-Din al-Qassam. The Hanbali family is administering the affairs of the mosque’s until the present day. Throughout the Jordanian rule in the West Bank which is followed by the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, it was amongst those mosques that maintained its own zakat committee. The committee used to do collection and distribute the zakat funds all through the local community
Masjid Aqsa Palestine is also known as Al-Aqsa and Bayt al-Muqaddas. It is the third holiest Mosque in Islam and is situated in the Old City of Jerusalem. A site where there is silver domed mosque also with the Dome of the Rock referred to as al-Haram ash-Sharif or Noble Sanctuary. Muslims believe that the Holy Prophet Muhammad (S.A) had traveled from the Masjid-e-Haram, Makkah to Al-Aqsa Masjid during Shab-e-Miraj the Night Journey. Masjid Al-Aqsa is considered to be Qibla –e-Awal. Muslims used to offer prayers in the direction of Al-Aqsa until seventeen months after the migration. Afterwards, God directed them to turn towards the Khana Kaaba.
This mosque was initially a small prayer house built by caliph Umar (R.A) but was reconstructed and expanded by the Umayyad caliph Abd al-Malik and completed by his son al-Walid in 705 CE. During 746, an earthquake hit the mosque and was completely destroyed and reconstructed by the Abbasid caliph al-Mansur in the year 754, and again renovated in 780 by his successor al-Mahdi. Another earthquake in 1033 destroyed most of al-Aqsa mosque, but within two years the Fatimid caliph Ali az-Zahir constructed another mosque that has stood till the present-day. The periodic renovations were undertaken by the various Islamic Caliphs. They did additions to the mosque and its boundaries; the renovations were made to domes, minbar, facade, minarets and also including the interior structure. When the Christian captured Jerusalem in 1099, they altered the mosque to palace and church, but it was restored as a mosque after the recapture by Saladin Ayyubi in 1187. Some more renovations, repairs, maintenance and additions, were taken in the later centuries by the Mamluks, Ayyubids, Ottomans, Jordan and the Supreme Muslim Council. At the present, the Old City is under the control of Israeli, but this mosque is under the administration of the Islamic Waqf led by Jordanian/Palestinian.
Jamal Abdel Nasser Mosque
Jamal Abdel Nasser Mosque is the biggest mosque in al-Bireh, it is situated in the central West Bank in the Downtown district of the city. This mosque is named after the late Arab leader and Egyptian president Jamal Abdel Nasser.
On March 14, 2002, the Israeli Army (IDF) captured this mosque and used its minaret for killing and sniping four Palestinians.
On September 22, 2007, number of wives of Hamas affiliated political prisoners and other members of female Hamas had marched from Jamal Abdel Nasser Mosque to the Al-Manara Square in protest. They were disallowed from reaching Al-Manara square when security forces shed tear gas to disintegrate them.
Fatima Khatun Mosque
The Fatima Khatun Mosque is also known as the Great Mosque of Jenin. It is amongst the major mosques of the city of Jenin and is situated in the northern West Bank. Fatima Khatun Girls’ School, adjacent to the mosque is the still active.
It is renovated during the Mamluk era in the 14th-century, but again fell into ruin. The present structure was constructed in 1566 by Fatima Khatun; she was the wife of the Bosnian governor of Damascus, Lala Kara Mustafa Pasha during the reign of Suleiman the Magnificent, the Ottoman Sultan. She particularly liked to visit Jenin while traveling to Jerusalem for pilgrimage. At the present, it is considered to be Jenin’s largest mosque.
Great Mosque of Gaza
The Great Mosque of Gaza is also known as the Great Omari Mosque. It is the biggest and the oldest mosque in the Gaza Strip, and is situated in Gaza’s old city.
The Great Mosque was lastly restored by the Ottomans. It was severely damaged during the British bombardment during the World War I; the mosque was renovated in 1925 by the Supreme Muslim Council. This Mosque is still full of life today, also serving as a Jama.
Palestine has been considered the land of Prophets. Especially Palestine mosque al-Aqsa is the most attractive site where every Muslim wishes to visit. These great mosques reflect the glory of Islam.